Founded in 2015, the Charis Community is a community of young adults living together under the shared values of simplicity, prayer, and hospitality. This intentional Christian community is housed at an under-used church property; 8 acres of beautiful land including a small church, house, garden, and forest. Its statement of purpose:
Charis is an ecumenical Christian community that is seeking to respond with creativity and compassion to the intersecting social and ecological dysfunction that marks the present age. We do this by engaging in shared rhythms of life and spiritual practice that include disciplines of ecological responsibility and regeneration. We offer focused hospitality to those in need, we facilitate liturgical gatherings that are informed by the issues of our time, and we seek to locate ourselves within the prophetic tradition by regularly participating in public acts of holy defiance and proclamation. The Charis Community is a partnership with Grace Church | Red Hill, a mission parish outside of Charlottesville.
Grace Youth is an innovative youth ministry focused on compassion and justice, it’s a community of young people, rooted in the Christian (and universal religious) teaching of compassion and service. The group is for youth grades 7 – 10. It is a “retreat based” model, meaning it does not meet weekly. Rather, it meets for 3-4 retreats, educational gatherings with the whole GC|RH community and one service trip a year. Youth (and families) commit for the whole year. As we prepare for the week-long summer project/pilgrimage we will meet regularly to:
- Grow in compassion toward self, others, animals, earth.
- Consider the needs of our community and world.
- Carefully choose our project and what is needed to serve.
- Learn together about the people we will meet, the issues in the places we go, and the most helpful ways to serve.
- Reflect together on the life, teachings and call of Jesus for compassion and service to all beings.
- Create a community that is compassionate to self and one another.
- Consider financial commitments for our service.
- HAVE FUN TOGETHER! Laugh, play, pray, work, sleep (don’t sleep), discuss, reflect.
- Share plans, work and experiences with GC|RH.